While some analysts were not impressed, the new iPhone 11 trio seems to be off to a great start. In fact, those analysts were focusing on the wrong thing the $50 price cut for the iPhone 11 isnt whats drawing in buyers. No, data from pre-orders shows that people are flocking to the Pros.
Info coming from Taiwan shows that 70% of pre-orders are for iPhone 11 Pro and iPhone 11 Pro Max. People seem to be preferring the 256GB model, 64GB really isnt much these days. Anyway, the other 30% of pre-orders are for the vanilla model.
A couple of days ago, Ming-Chi Kuo reported that in the US most people are going for the Pro models (using trade-ins). However, it was a more even split 55:45 of Pros to vanilla phones. China seems to have responded better to the price cut and most orders there are for the iPhone 11.
Last year things looked differently, with the premium iPhone XS models accounting for 45% of pre-orders. Despite launching a month later, the iPhone XR quickly became Apples most popular phone.